Packing for a trip can go one of two ways. If you’re a meticulous packer, you may make a detailed packing list before carefully loading your belongings into your suitcase. If you’re a little more laissez-faire, you may toss everything in at the last minute, unbothered by said packing space and call it a day.
No matter which method you gravitate toward, there’s a decent chance that your stuff will get jumbled around during your travels. That’s where packing cubes come in handy. These revolutionary tools and packing tips can help you pack your suitcase more efficiently and offer you unparalleled organization during your trip.
So what are packing cubes and how do they work? Below, we’ll break it all down for you.
What Are Packing Cubes?
Put simply, packing cubes are small fabric pouches with zip closures. You can think of them like dresser drawers for your luggage. Rather than tossing everything into one big dark pit (i.e. your suitcase), a travel packing cube allows you to enjoy a little more organization when packing a bag.
For example, you can use packing cubes to:
- Group certain outfits together
- Pack different clothing categories together (like pants, shirts, undergarments, etc.)
- Separate clean clothes from dirty clothes
- Have one designated compartment for your toiletries, electronics, etc.
With all of your belongings strategically placed in convenient compartments, you’ll have a much easier time finding what you need on your trip. As a result, many packing cube aficionados swear by them. They are well worth the small investment, especially if you choose a durable brand.
How to Find the Best Packing Cubes
There are many different brands of packing cubes on the market. Each one boasts different features and degrees of quality depending on types of luggage.
The best packing cubes come with the following features:
- Stiff, durable fabric – If you’re an avid traveler, you want your travel cubes to last for a long time. Choosing a brand that uses durable fabric can make all the difference. A stiff, durable packing cube will hold its shape and keep your items contained. You won’t need to worry about it tearing, ripping, or becoming misshapen after a few uses.
- Strong zippers – Similarly, high-quality packing cubes should come with strong zippers. This way, they will be able to withstand the pressure of containing your clothing and other items for years to come.
- A mesh opening – By choosing mesh packing cubes, you’ll be able to see exactly what’s inside at a glance. In turn, you won’t need to unpack your entire suitcase or rummage through each packing cube to find your favorite bikini, a clean pair of socks, or whatever else you’re looking for. You’ll be able to pinpoint the right packing cube in a matter of seconds.
- Labels – Some types of packing cubes come with handy labels on the outside. These labels can take your organization up a notch. By clearly labeling each packing cube, you can find what you need faster, whether it’s your glamorous dinner outfit, your beach day supplies, or some comfy athleisure wear.
- Handles – Handles are another helpful packing cube feature you don’t want to miss out on. Packing cubes with handles are much easier to take out of your luggage. Rather than scooping up your chosen packing cube, you can conveniently grab it by its handle instead.
- A selection of sizes – Packing cubes are available in a wide range of sizes. A large packing cube can be big enough to hold your thick winter coats, while a small packing cube is compact enough to contain your tiny toiletries. The best packing cube size is a matter of personal preference. However, it’s nice to have a few different sizes to mix and match with your various belongings.
If you’re looking for high-quality packing cubes with all of these helpful features, look no further than BÉIS. Our six-piece packing cube set comes with three packing cubes, two shoe bags, and a small zip pouch. Each piece is made of durable PVC and polyester fabric and comes with strong nylon zippers, mesh peekaboo openings, and convenient label slots. In turn, you can enjoy all of the best packing cube features in one.
The Many Advantages of Using Packing Cubes
At this point, you may be wondering, “Are packing cubes worth it?” According to many avid travelers, they certainly are.
Here are some of the advantages you can look forward to once you start using packing cubes:
- A more efficient packing experience – While planning a vacation is an exciting endeavor, packing for one can be a challenge. If you’re wondering how to pack a suitcase efficiently, packing cubes can make all the difference. They give you clear compartments for each of your items and help you save the most space in your suitcase.
- Better use of your luggage space – Speaking of saving space, packing cubes help you do this by compressing your clothing down to a smaller volume. As a result, you can pack more without needing to size up your suitcase.
- An easier time finding things on your trip – Since packing cubes serve as dresser drawers for your luggage, you won’t need to unpack everything when you get to your final destination if you don’t want to. Instead, you can simply pull items from your packing cubes as needed.
- A way to separate dirty and clean clothes – If your next adventure doesn’t involve a washing machine, chances are you’ll have a growing collection of dirty clothes to drag around with you. Rather than letting them mix in with your clean clothes, you can tuck them away conveniently in a designated dirty clothes packing cube.
- More privacy – When you travel, you often have to submit your luggage for inspection. While this is necessary for security reasons, it’s not always fun to think about a TSA agent rummaging through your underwear. By keeping your items stowed away in packing cubes, you can enjoy a little more privacy.
- Less likelihood of overpacking – Roughly 60% of people admit to being chronic overpackers.1 If you’re one of them, you’re certainly not alone. When you’re under pressure to pack everything you need, it’s easy to get carried away with the packing process and toss in some unnecessary items at the end. This can temporarily reduce your packing anxiety, but it may also cost you a ton of money in oversize fees.
Rather than stuffing your bag with everything besides the kitchen sink, use packing cubes to help you strategize and plan ahead. You can give each packing cube a purpose and pack it with intention. In turn, you’ll feel more confident that you packed everything you need.
Using packing cubes can level up your travel organization tenfold. Once you get used to the perks of packing cubes, you’ll never want to go back.
It’s a lot like setting up a dresser in a new house after living with all of your clothes on the ground for a few days—the new and improved organization makes your life a lot easier!
More Ways to Use Packing Cubes
Packing cubes can transform your travel luggage, but that’s not the only thing they’re good for. They have many useful applications.
For example, you can use your packing cubes to:
- Streamline your linen closet
- Store your off-season clothing
- Organize your child’s toy room
- Simplify your diaper bag backpack
- Spruce up your craft room or home office
The organizational options for packing cubes are truly endless.
How to Use Packing Cubes
The best part about packing cubes is that they’re super easy to use. All you have to do is open one up and place your stuff inside. As you zip the packing cube closed, try to squeeze out any excess air. This will help you compress your belongings down in size.
If your packing cubes have a slot for labels, make sure to label them as soon as you can so you don’t forget what’s inside. Your future self will thank you!
Once you’re done packing, position your collection of packing cubes strategically in your suitcase. If you’re doing it right, it will feel like a game of Tetris. By packing each cube close together, you can use up every inch of your suitcase, duffel bag, or carry-on bag.
Should You Roll Clothes in Packing Cubes?
Generally, rolling your clothes is the best way to keep them wrinkle-free as you travel. Rolling them will also help them fit comfortably in your packing cubes.
Pack Like a Pro with BÉIS
Packing cubes are a simple yet powerful organizational tool that can streamline the packing process significantly. With their help, you can rest easy knowing that everything will be in perfect order the next time you unzip your bag.
They can help you spend less time rummaging through your suitcase and more time enjoying your adventure.
If you’re ready to revolutionize your packing experience with packing cubes, look no further than BÉIS. We offer many different types of luggage. We can set you up in style with our durable packing cubes, hardside luggage sets, and convenient carry-on bags.
“Overpacking For Holidays.” Villa Plus Blog, 15 May 2019, URL